Wednesday, 19 February 2014

rosy in the garden

Hello Internet, 

Remember me? It's been a while... You may forgive me for my absence when I present to you: "My New Dress". 





I'd like to thank the Academy, Mom, Dad and... My Stitch Picker. I could not have made this dress without my stitch picker. 

I feel like I made this dress about three times. Because effectively I did. Most seams were done at least twice. One entire bodice even got completely re-done.  The bodice. The bodice, the bodice, the bodice.... 




Thing about trying to get the bodice to fit without exposing obscene amounts of cleavage proved a tad tricky. I was pulling and prodding and forcing it around. I spent a long time fitting it on - a process I find  really challenging. In the end I stopped pulling it about so much and tried to let its own thing - and sometimes that's the best thing to do! 

This pattern is Butterick B5029, nabbed from the bargain bin at the Knitting and Stitching Show the year before last. 




And I love this fabric(From Hickeys, in case Irish readers interested). I think it would also be particularly kick-ass in a Georgia-style wiggly pencil skirt dress. 

Bit of a 'could do better' grade for my gathering and for invisible zipper insertion but it's basically one of the first dresses I've ever made, so,feck it, I'm giving myself a pat on the back. 






I was a bit concerned halfway through that it is a bit of a pretty-pretty dress and I'm still not a 100% where I'm going to wear it to. I need a garden party invitation or something. Or if somebody could oblige me by getting married in a chateau in France, that might do nicely. I believe I could play a game of croquet and drink a glass of Champagne in this dress. Or if I could go to somewhere like the Southern Hemisphere. Hmm... like say New Zealand. Aaaand, as luck would have it, that is exactly where I am!! And it's SUMMER HERE!!  

And, to have finished it and the fact that it basically FITS causes me pretty much indescribable joy. 


I don't think I'll get much chance to wear this in Ireland so I'm going to enjoy wearing it in the sun! 

5 comments:

  1. Wauw, great dress! Love the colours and the waistband looks really awesome with the gathers! Enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy... exciting to have made a dress!

      Delete
  2. oh, yum. that dress makes me feel like spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oona, I hear you, bring on the sun, I'm ready now!

      Delete
  3. Great job on the dress. The fabric is perfect for it. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine in New Zealand. I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you - don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...